Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Production

This particular entry is a recount of the process I have taken to get where I'm at now with the project. Keep in mind that I had written this a few months ago, before finding this site and deciding to post it here.

The Beginning

I formulated the idea of the story in December of 2006 in the form of a brief note to remind myself. Unfortunately, I didn't start fleshing out the idea until 2007/2008. When I finally got around to working on the story, I began drawing up some outlines of the way the story would work. I organized it to work as a continuous ongoing series, wrote down the themes and came up with characters. Not only did I come up with character names, but I also came up with the way they look, act, feel, and carry themselves. I then decided how long each issue would be and how many issues would be in the first arc. Each issue, so far, will be 22 pages and the first arc is 7 issues long.

To this day, I continue plotting new story arcs for the series to undertake. It has grown to be much more than I ever anticipated.

The Writing

So, after I got everything organized and in place like a chess game, I began writing the first issue. However, the way my mind works is both a blessing and a curse because even as I try to focus on one issue, I think ahead and plan for other things. While writing the first issue I thought of numerous story arcs for the future. I even know how the entire series is going to end, if and when it comes to that. I came up with supporting characters and interesting plot twists that I think will keep the audience entranced.

I eventually finished the first issue and with my adrenaline rushing from that, I instantly moved onto the second issue and then the third. However, with each issue being 22 pages long, I was only on page 19 for issue 3 for some time. I don't know what it was, but issue 3 had been the hardest one to finish because of the transition that takes place. But, I finished it. I want to start on issue 4, but I think my efforts could be put to better use elsewhere, for the time being.

The Hunt


This was the longest and most time consuming task, yet. After I finished 2 1/2 issues, the logical idea was to find an artist. A comic can only be brought to life with pictures, otherwise the words are meaningless. One friend had directed me towards a site of artists looking for jobs and even non-paying jobs that promise to eventually see some financial gain. So, I posted a want-ad, giving a few details as to what the comic is about and the style I want for the comic and any other little details that an artist may need.

I had a few nibbles on the ad, receiving a few e-mails from people initially interested, but every time I sent them a small scene to draw (as a way to get a sample of their work in a comic book format) they would never reply and I'd be back at square 1. I even resorted to making some inquiries from a few artists on a smaller website. That didn't pan out so well. So, I moved onto my alternate plan for finding an artist. It's a good thing I have so many friends that are studying traditional art, and that was my Plan B.

Some of them don't really draw the style I was looking for in my story, except one friend. This happens to also be the friend that graduated from art school and the friend that I had started bouncing ideas off of with the story arcs and character designs. He was very helpful, to a point. Originally, he offered to do the comic book for 30 bucks a page. That is 660 bucks an issue. I'm not getting paid for this. I don't even have a job right now (because I'm a bum), so I declined his offer. I didn't think it was too fair.

Well, with some arm twisting and a very convincing plea, he agreed to do it for free. Unfortunately, I never saw anything done with it. Every time we'd talk, I'd ask how the comics coming and he would have nothing to show, claiming he's been lazy or has had more important things to take care of. This went on for a few months until I began my search, again, for another artist. I didn't inform my friend at first because I wanted to wait until I certainly found someone.

I re-posted a want ad on the artist website and it took 65 views of my ad before I finally received an e-mail. I replied, he replied. Things started looking good. We exchanged a few more e-mails to get to know one another. Now it started to look great. Eventually I sent him the first issue and the synopsis. He has already began some rough conceptual art for the comic.

The Update

So, now I have an artist. A dedicated artist that I talk to on a regular basis who shows some real promise. I informed my other friend (the original artist) that he is off the project and he didn't mind too much. There were no hard feelings, which I'm glad, and he is curious to see how the comic goes and he wishes me the best of luck. He hopes that if the comic gets picked up that he can guest draw an issue in the future or something. I told him we'll see.

I've sent the current artist a little contract that ensures he can't steal any of my ideas (you can never be too careful). I have many rough drafts of character designs in my possession as well as the first two pages of the first issue. Rough drafts, but I have them. He is currently working on the finished versions of the pages and we hope to have the first issue done with before the end of the year.

My next post will be about my adventure at the San Diego Comic Con and how my pitching this project to publishers went.

No comments:

Post a Comment