Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Back to the Corner, You Whore!

Clearly I'm one of the most inconsistent bastards anyone of you have ever met. I started this blog to keep things on track for the comic and that didn't exactly go as planned. Then I tried to make this a weekly thing and if you look at the dates of each post, you can see that I strayed from that plan as well. Now I'm back with a small update, which is actually kind of big in my eyes.

First, Mike and I are back at the drawing board, getting the ball rolling with Unwanted Children again. I rewrote issue one from scratch (for the most part), sent it to Mike and now he should be working on pages for that (hopefully some character designs too, we'll find out). Then I went ahead and completely rewrote issue 2. This is completely from scratch.

I took out everything I didn't like and threw in what should have been there from the start. I wrote out six pages of outlines for just this one issue. It came out much better than its previous incarnation and I have a stable cast of characters now. Before I had a few characters kind of just pop in, then we wouldn't hear from them about six issues down the road. This time I fixed that and found a way to keep everything tight, connected and fluid. I'm quite pleased with the roll I'm on. I'll probably have the first ten issues of the series done by month's end.

Second, Mike has sent me some of his written work my way to be critiqued. I'm acting as an editor for this little novella of his and I'm having fun with that role. I have a system of writing my stuff one day then skipping over to editing his the next. Keeps everything fresh for me so I don't get burned out.
And lastly, like last year when I went to San Diego Comic Con to pitch my comic to multiple publishers, I will be attending the new Long Beach Comic Con this year to do the same. I had one publisher really interested in the comic last year, but due to a small debacle with a stable artist, I was never able to reply to the publisher and get him what he wanted. Too much time has passed and I'd feel uncomfortable (or more accurately, unprofessional) to send him that stuff now. I'm gonna try to go for all three days of the convention and I'll try to have a good time while also trying to whore myself out to the people that can change my future.

Hope I still have some people reading this. I need to try to build an audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment